FAQ: Sex work in the municipality of Amsterdam

How can I make an appointment at ACS?

For an STI appointment, call 020-5318600.
Our receptionist will schedule an appointment for you.

Would you like an appointment with social work? Call 020-5318600 and our receptionist will have a social worker call you back as soon as possible. You are welcome to come to the ACS during opening hours to make an appointment. You can also fill in our contact form.

Can my appointment be scheduled in the evening?

Yes, you can. We are open Monday to Thursday from 09:00 to 21:30. On Fridays we’re open until 17:00.

Can I work from home?

In Amsterdam, you are not allowed to do sex work from home. If you live in another municipality, you can contact this municipality (anonymously) and check out their policies.

Is escort work allowed?

You are allowed to work as an escort. This can be done in different ways: you can work for an escort agency, as a self-employed escort and sometimes from a club as an escort.

Do I need a licence?

If you work for an escort agency, the escort agency needs a licence.

If you go on escort from the club, the club needs a licence.

If you work as a self-employed escort, you do not need a licence. You are a self-employed escort if you arrange the following things yourself:

  • Advertising;
  • Contacts;
  • Appointments;
  • Transportation;
  • Going to the client’s home or hotel room (the client must have booked the room themselves);
  • Finances.

I am undocumented, can I get help?

Yes, you can. ACS offers help to all sex workers in the Amsterdam region, regardless of residence status.

Where can I go with a complaint?

Do you have a complaint related to sex work? For example, with your employer/operator or with an authority such as the bank? Then first contact our confidential counsellor Heleen on 0622479750.

If you have a complaint about care or help you received from ACS, then we will refer you to the GGD or HVO-Querido complaints procedure.

If your complaint is about the care you received from our nurse, then please go to the complaints committee on ggd.amsterdam.nl.

Do you have a complaint about the help you received from the trust team or social work? GGo to hvoquerido.nl or email klachtenfunctionaris@hvoquerido.nl

I want to remain anonymous, is that possible?

You can come to us anonymously. For example, if you make an STI appointment, you only need to give your working name. However, should it be necessary to contact another organisation (such as the hospital or a legal team), we will often need your personal details.

What do I need to start sex work?
  • Registration address
  • BSN number
  • Health insurance
  • DigiD
  • Bank account
What do I need to register at the Chamber of Commerce (KvK)?
  • DigiD
  • A registration address
  • A valid proof of identity
  • A one-off registration fee of €75
How do I make an appointment at the KvK?

You can do this online www.kvk.nl

Please note! You will need a DigiD for this.

Which workplaces are there in Amsterdam?
  • Windows – Red Light District, Singel and Ruysdaelkade
  • Clubs
  • Privehuis (licensed brothel)
  • Escort agencies
Who works at ACS?

Social workers from the HVO-Querido organisation work here.
There are sexual health nurses from the GGD Amsterdam.

Why does ACS do internet outreach work?
ACS wants to reach as many sex workers in Amsterdam as possible (including the unlicensed sector). By actively approaching new profiles on websites like Kinky.nl, we try to connect all sex workers with the help ACS offers.
What does an STI test at ACS cost?

At ACS, sex workers can have themselves tested for STIs free of charge.

Do you also do STI testing on location?

ACS can be found weekly in the Red Light District, at Singel and Ruysdaelkade. We can then test you for STIs and answer questions you may have.

We visit the clubs and private houses about once every 3 months.

Can I get PrEP through you and what does it cost?

Yes, but PrEP is only available for men who have sex with men (MSM) and transgender people at risk of HIV.

The Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport, obliges us to charge a co-payment for the PrEP tablets (€7.50 per 30 tablets). You will be given the tablets after paying the co-payment. The STI tests are free of charge.

I have had a broken condom. What should I do?

When you have a burst condom, it is very scary. The condom can not only tear, but also slip off, remaining in the vagina or anus. What should you do? Do you need an STI test, pregnancy test or PEP cure? You may already need to take action within 72 hours (e.g. in the case of anal sex) So check our advice on this page right away.

Related topics

Health & Sex

Your sexual health is important. At ACS, you can schedule an appointment for a sexual health check-up to be tested for STIs and/or pregnancy. We also recommend and provide the Hepatitis A/B vaccination.

Start & Stop

When you start sex work, there are a number of things to think about. Where do you want to work? What paperwork and financial preparation will you need to arrange? You also need to consider the boundaries you set for yourself: how far are you prepared to go with a customer? Where do you draw the line? How do you make that clear?


How can you avoid debt? How will you manage debt if it is unavoidable? Do you know if you are entitled to rent allowance or other benefits? We will help you with all your questions about finances.


Perhaps you have experienced something bad, in your private life or at home. It could have been a recent event or even some time ago. Has a client crossed your boundaries forcefully? Read more about abuse and what ACS can do for you.